If I had to choose store-bought over homemade hummus, I’d choose homemade any day. It’s so simple to make and literally only takes a second. All you need is a can of chickpeas, a food processor, and a few extra ingredients.This particular recipe for spinach pesto hummus is jam-packed full of nutrition, so I always feel extra good about myself when making it ;). The base of any recipe is chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, which have many health benefits. They are full of fiber which helps keep you full quicker and longer, aiding in weight loss, and can also help to lower cholesterol.They are also a great source of protein. As a vegetarian, hummus has always been a staple in my diet. Without eating a lot of meat, it can also be difficult to get enough protein and iron, which is another reason I turn to the beloved hummus. This recipe for spinach pesto hummus, especially, is full of iron as it combines iron rich chickpeas with iron rich spinach. Have this on a sandwich with some fruit, such as strawberries or citrus, on the side to help your body better absorb the iron. Not to mention the iron will give you a little energy boost, so spinach pesto hummus makes a great afternoon snack right when you’re needing a little pick me up! It won’t be long before you notice a little pep in your step ;), and I don’t know about you, but I could really use that come 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon.
Spinach Pesto Hummus
- 1/4 cup spinach pesto, recipe here
- 1-15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- salt, to taste
1. Prepare the spinach pesto hummus (Find recipe here).
2. Combine chickpeas and tahini paste in the food processor. As it’s blending, pour the olive oil through the top and continue to blend until smooth.
3. Next, add the garlic and lemon juice.
4. Add the pesto and continue to process until smooth, green, and creamy. Add any salt, to taste.
5. Serve with crackers, vegetables, or on a sandwich. Enjoy!