Does your dog always come to you when you are eating a meal? And you are tempted to give them some of your food because they look so cute asking for food? Yes? Well, who wants to say no to such a cute face? Yet, sometimes you need to because not every food item you eat is healthy for your furry friends. Sure, eggs and chicken are healthy to feed your dog. But many human foods are toxic to pets and should not be part of their diet. Feeding them anything toxic can be fatal to them. That’s why you must be cautious about what you feed them. Also, having information about feeding them the right food is necessary. Below are ten foods that you should never feed your dog.
Alcohol has a sweet taste that attracts dogs, especially eggnog, a popular Christmas drink. However, never let your dog consume alcohol. Dogs and cats are smaller living beings, and alcohol can affect them dangerously. Even a single sip of any adult drink can cause alcohol poisoning in dogs, low blood pressure, and heart arrhythmias. The most common effect is alcohol poisoning, and its symptoms include vomiting and breathing problems. If you see these symptoms in your god, rush them to a vet. Otherwise, they can go into a coma or even die.
Another food to avoid feeding your dog is caffeine or coffee grounds in any form. Caffeine is fatal to dogs and can lead to seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, and even heartbeats. It happens because caffeine has methylxanthines which do more harm than good. Anything with caffeine, even cookies, is potentially harmful to dogs and can lead to tremors and the symptoms mentioned above. Thus, keep these out of their reach.
Do you love your avocado toast and share it with your dog often? Stop! A toxin known as persin found in avocado is fatal if consumed by dogs. A human can consume it safely, but for dogs, it’s poisonous. Make sure you don’t give any part of the avocado plant. The consequence of dogs eating any part of this fruit is fluid accumulation in the chest, lungs, pancreas, heart, and abdomen. It leads to complications that can result in their death.
Every dog deserves a treat, but chocolate is not for them. You can buy dog food and accessories online, including treats specific to them, but never feed them any type of chocolate, even in a small amount. Unfortunately, people often feed their dogs chocolates on holidays, which is a leading cause of poisoning among them. Therefore, avoid giving them chocolate, as it has theobromine, caffeine, and xylitol (found in sugar-free chocolate), all of which are fatally harmful to pets.
Here are the symptoms associated with indigestion from chocolate vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm, and seizures. Know these symptoms to ensure that you call your vet timely if you notice any of them.
Raisins and Grapes
Another food that your dog should never consume is raisins and grapes. These compounds are toxic to dogs, even in small amounts. In addition, the consumption of raisins and grapes in any form, baked or raw, leads to kidney failure and other issues.
Coconut and its Oil
Coconut and its oil are not fatal to dogs and cats, especially in small amounts. However, they have oils that can lead to loose stools, diarrhea, and upset stomach. These can cause massive discomfort to your pets. Thus, be cautious when giving these items to your dogs. Also, when it comes to coconut water, you should avoid giving it to your pets as it is high in potassium.
Dogs and cats lack lactase, the enzyme which helps break lactose in dairy products. Thus, it is best to avoid giving them any such products. In addition, most dogs cannot even digest milk. Thus, avoid it. Otherwise, it will cause digestive problems in your pets.
Apart from these foods, your dog may need to avoid certain other things according to age and medical issues. For instance, certain conditions mean a dog cannot eat gluten. Therefore, it is always a good idea to talk to a veterinarian about what you can or cannot feed your dog.